Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Return of the Reroll: Aftermath

Welcome to the paperwork phase of Star navy! Luckily, the paperwork phase of Star Navy is fast and easy.  First though, I check to see if my own Rep goes up.  I roll a single die and I have to get above my current Rep of 4. I roll a six and let out a piratey cheer! These bastard have finally learned something.

***
“Hey Stabbin Rory! I’m glad to see you back in port! I have a bunch of new holovids that you will love! I got Cybercop! I got Star Vampire Academy! I got the latest reboot of Arachind-Man!”

“What’s this one here? The one with the Star Navy logo?”

“That? You don’t want that.  It’s just a training vid for targeting arrays. I don’t know why I even have it out front like this. No one buys these things except Navy wannabes.”

“I’ll take it.  We destroyed a Star Navy Carrier recently and it got me to thinking that maybe I should learn what all the buttons on my console actually do, you know?  Like, what does the prograde button do on my missile console?

“I have no idea.  Okay, you’re buying that then.  You still want Arachnid-Man?”

“Heck yeah, I can’t wait to see how Petro Paz turns into Arachnid-Man this time!”

***

Quarter Mistress Danica prepared herself for outrage.  It was her job to sell the loot that the pirates had stolen but it was a poor haul.  Ice was not exactly a rare commodity and the two cargo bays of TEGO Holovid toy tie-ins were not what pirates dream about capturing. 

The Tricon passed her a datapad.  The middle head was sleeping but the two heads on either side looked nervous.  She read the datapad and reached for her laser pistol.

“Are you drekking me?” Danica screamed.  “80 Megacreds? I can’t take this back to my Captain! We fought a damn battlecruiser!”

“Hey, I hear you,” the head on the right side.  “The TEGO toys are good but ice doesn’t sell like it used to since the outbreak of Space Herpes wiped out most of the Ice Pirates.  I can give you 80 MegCreds and 8 more in store credit.”

“Lords of Space,” Danica swore.

The middle head grumbled but kept snoring.

“Hey, I would take that offer,” the head on the left said.  He gestured with his hand to the middle head.  “Especially before he wakes up.”

Danica took the offer but she kept one of the TEGO toys for herself.

***
I only picked up 88 cargo value on this mission but I had 188 left over from the last mission for a total of 276.  This is enough to get a roll on the recruitment table.

***
Captain Grognard finished his mug of rum and let out a hearty burp.  A crowd of pirates and doxies were hanging on his every word as he recounted the fearsome battle with the Star Navy.  Life was good.

“So this mug will represent my hip, The Reroll,” he said as he set the mug down on the table.  “This turducken wing will represent the freighter we were chasing.  We were set up like this when all of a sudden, this Dreadnought showed up.  We’ll use this plate to represent the Dreadnought.”

There was a honking noise and the crowd around Grognard quickly dispersed.  He looked up to see a woman who had been genetically altered to have pasty white skin and frizzy orange hair.  She squeezed the red bulb of her cyber-nose again and let out another honk.

“Are you the same Grognard who injured The Atlanta?” the clown asked.

“Yep,” Grognard said.  Her choose his words carefully.  She was from the planet of Giggles, a notorious planet known for their insane clown cult.  

“Good,” the clown woman said.  She blew up a balloon and twisted it into a rather remarkable facsimile of a space ship.  She gave it to Grognard.

“Err, thank you?” Grognard said. 

The Atlanta killed my last partner,” the clown woman said.  “My name is Captain Ticklepoke and we have hit rough times.  We haven’t made a good score in a long time.  We can barely afford cream for our pies.”

“That is rough,” Captain Grognard said.  He was hoping other pirates would join him but he hadn’t counted on clowns.  “What is the name of your ship?”

The Slapstick,” Captain Ticklepoke said.

“Of course it is,” Captain Grognard said.  “Consider yourself a member of the fleet!”

Captain Peaches sat down and fell dramatically out of her chair.

***  
I got two successes on the recruitment table.  A d6 roll later and I found that I had hired a Class 3 Marauder with a Rep of 4.  1 gun and 1 missile don’t give me much hope but the 2 shields are nice.  If nothing else, concentrated fire will help me crack the tougher ships.

Slowly but surely, my pirate fleet is growing.

No comments:

Post a Comment